Thursday, October 30, 2008

Snack crisis averted

Today's afternoon snack was supposed to be three Belgian butter cookies. After I made the accompanying cup of tea, I discovered they were a bit chewy, so I popped them into the office toaster oven. Set to toast dark. Three minutes later, I was rewarded with three small, smoking black wafers. Thinking quickly, I carried the entire toaster oven outside until the smoke cleared.*

But what to do? A day without a snack is a day without sunshine. Luckily, some of my office mates were up for a jaunt. A quick trip to the campus ice cream parlor provided us with pumpkin pie ice cream cones, and life was good again.

*I'm actually quite practiced at this, as I had to carry the microwave out last year when I set its contents on fire.

4 comments:

Bernice said...

I assume the campus fire department is well acquainted with you by now. Or does the quick trip outside prevent a visit from them.

alexis said...

LOL. God I love pumpkin icecream.

stef said...

mmmmm. pumpkin ice cream. There is a place here that has pumpkin ice cream with ginger snaps. Sooooo good. I made buttercup squash cupcakes last night!

Anonymous said...

The Louisiana Blackened food craze is so passe RM. :)

My memories of many a shattered French Press make this story so totally understandable.