Monday, October 27, 2008

Things I am thankful for today

1. Fall weather. Besides providing me with beautiful arboreal colors to enjoy, autumn lets me dig out all my favorite winter coats and hats. I bought a new one in Italy this summer and was especially keen to wear it today.

2. People who provide free blog header pictures for common use. (Hence, the redesign.)

3. My cast iron pan. A friend recently told me that she doesn't have one because she can't handle the worry of cleaning them improperly. A well-seasoned cast iron pan is a joy. It's insanely cheap (I don't know how you'd even spend more than $15), it lasts forever, and it holds heat like the sun. They aren't that scary to clean - either scour with salt or coffee grounds, avoiding soap, or wash with soap and water, and then re-season (i.e. smear with oil and heat) after each wash. Voila.

4. My husband. On Friday night, around midnight, I realized there was nothing that could make me happier at that moment than mint chocolate chip ice cream and he went and bought me some. I'm embarrassed to admit how often things like this happen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the list hierarchical? Did you save the best till last?
gill uk

alexis said...

those are great things to be grateful for! I am grateful for the fact that although I am sick with very annoying symptoms, they are not of the variety that knock you out of life for a few days.

Anonymous said...

Gill, if you think I'm going to tell my mother-in-law that there's anything I treasure more than her son, you must think I'm crazy :)

stef said...

Hmmm. Those chocolate chip ice cream days are over for me. At least until I get pregnant again.

Anonymous said...

Goodbye chocolate chip ice cream days..!!


BWHAHAHAHAHA :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice appreciation of life there niece.

On the subject of cast iron pans (which I adore and use all the time) and cleaning them, my dear old Dad once showed me a pan he had been using for decades with a perfect patina. He said he washed it with soap and water all the time and then just put the coat of oil with no ill effects. Since then I've been doing the same with the same results.

Matty Lau said...

Research has shown that it's good to be thankful for things in your life- it makes you healthier!
When will we see pictures of the lovely new coat?