Friday, October 03, 2008

Ring, ring goes the cash register

In these difficult times, are you craving a little retail therapy? The president has told us many times that when the economy goes south, the people should go shopping. If you don't have any money to spend yourself, help me spend mine. Thanks to our generous friends and family, Andrew and I have wedding money to spend. Accustomed to our frugal graduate student ways, we're having trouble actually spending it. This is where you, my great reading public, come in. If you had a couple of hundred dollars to spend on an item or two for your household, what would you buy?

We want to buy good quality stuff that will last, if not as long as we hope our marriage will, at least a couple of decades. So far we've purchased silverware and wine glasses. Suggestions?

11 comments:

Bernice said...

Now that is a tough one. Once when I received $1000 from my mom, I bought Bose speakers, which we have used for many years. But you said a few hundred. And it needs to be something you both would enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Buy 4 bottles of wine that will last and drink one each on your 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th anniversaries.

Ellie said...

A tent? A really good, light weight one with a heavy fly and ground tarp should be a few hundred. Its not for your home, but I bet you guys will use it for many decades.

alexis said...

oh yeah - the tent is a good idea. Also not sure how much these cost, but a good mattress? Those are an investment in your prolonged, future health I think.

stef said...

More wine glasses. You will likely break a few over the years. I've only been married for 5 years and we only have 3 left!

Matty Lau said...

A good mattress seem like a good investment (especially since half of this happy marriage has an adversion to getting that intimate with nature). I have found my 20 inch (or maybe it is 24 inch) fry pan from Calphalon (the hard anodized one) to be invaluable.

Jason Loper said...

Besides an original Zola Jones bag, I would purchase kitchen gadgetry. Like a stand mixer or quality cookware, etc.

Anonymous said...

How about investing it for a future expense, such as towards a down payment on a house or towards your retirement? Or, "save it for a rainy day"- you might be happy you tucked it away for car repairs or something else that is critical.

Anonymous said...

You can't go wrong with white dishes. Unless you already have them!

Matty Lau said...

Following on Stacy's very very responsible note, how about starting your retirement plan?
Your anticipated professional lives should out last the tanking economy and when it is time to retire, your next egg will have grown.

Pulisha said...

As much as I would like to encourage you to blow it on truffles and caviar (do they have a vegan version of caviar?), I have to third Stacy's suggestion. It is a great time to buy stock...unless you believe the current financial crisis is going to lead to WW III...then I woud get the truffles ;)