Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Adventures in the kitchen

Monday I had a cooking disaster. I have no pictures of the (two!) wretched pot pies to show you. I hope to expunge them from my memory. I figured out what I did wrong, but only after they were all done. Even worse, I had made the second one as a gift for friends who just had a baby. I can only hope that their sleep-deprived state inured them to the tragedy that was my crust.

Not one to give up, I ventured back into the kitchen yesterday and made an outstanding cabbage soup. I can use such adjectives without appearing boastful because all the credit goes to Epicurious. I must admit that I didn't expect such pizzaz from cabbage. But the onion and cabbage soup was topped by apples quickly sauteed in butter, which provided a more toothsome texture and delicate sweetness to occasional bites. On advice from one of the commenters, I topped each bowl with gruyere cheese (the maiden voyage for our new french onion soup bowls) and got this:


Epicurious, you've saved me again.

5 comments:

astrobassist said...

mmm...looks good! And a snazzy bowl, I might add. I would try making it too, if only I had the thyme...

Anonymous said...

Seems like no matter how much we cook, there is always that disaster out there remind us of our mortality and that cooking requires focus.

Bernice said...

Did your DH eat the other "disaster"?
Is the friend who had the baby the one who was at the wedding? Did they have a boy or girl?

alexis said...

that soup looks delicious, much better than the six thousandth sandwich I had for breakfast.

stef said...

Mmmmm. I love epicurious.