Thursday, October 23, 2008

Lemons

I happened to get a deal on lemons when we were in Philadelphia a few weeks ago. That led to last week's lemon fest, salted lemons (on the left) and the previously mentioned lemon mousse. (Recipe here, although I didn't make the berry puree. The mousse was pretty terrific even without it.)

I have survived the homework crunch of the past three days. You know it's going to be a doozy when you think, "Why change out of my pajamas? I'm not going to leave the house all day, and I can spend an extra five minutes working on this problem."









Now it's back to the work that pays my bills. Looks like I'll be working this weekend too...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salted Lemons - the perfect Christmas gift for those foodie relatives of yours (hint, hint, hint) :)

alexis said...

wow, what do you use salted lemons in if you are vegetarian? I can only think of chicken dishes.

Anonymous said...

Alexis: sticking on the traditional flavors, I have made couscous with salted lemons and olives, with maybe some chickpeas or nuts. I'll also use it less traditionally, finely chopped in a salad dressing just to add a lemony flavor.

Matty Lau said...

I just did my lemons last week.
What are the little black things in the jar? How long do you leave your lemons in there?

Well, the semester is half over. Soon you will be able to wear other things besides pajamas again.

Anonymous said...

Matty, the I added some peppercorns and bay leaves. I think they are ready to eat in 3-4 weeks, and they'll probably last a year in the refrigerator.

Ellie said...

Wow! Love the new look of the blog! Did Andy take that picture on their hike last weekend or is it from a professional source?
Very classy...
-Ellie

stef said...

Love the new layout. Am I only the person that never heard of salted lemons before?

Anonymous said...

Yes totally great new look - and yes Stef you are the only one who has never heard of salted lemons - even bro-in-law Tim raves over them (I just made that up)