Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A tour of Rome

I am of the opinion that there is nothing more boring than someone else's vacation photos. (Have none of you experienced a vacation slide show?) In spite of that, I yield to the barrage of requests I've received. If you're like me, you should just mosey along and read the latest article on Slate.com.

We saw many, many permutations on the theme "Old Stones in Italy". Sometimes they were famous ones, as on the left. (Random and interesting fact I learned at the Colosseum: the Romans invented concrete.)


Sometimes the old stones were less famous, is in the ruins of the port town here.










Sometimes the stones were still standing.

Sometimes I could no longer stand, so exhausted was I from looking at all the old stones.








These stones were rather new, and were used to make the most striking fountain I have ever seen. The Trevi fountain is built along the rear wall of a palace, and it's as if Neptune and the various ocean creatures are bursting forth from the building.


And here the old stones are used as a stray cat sanctuary, an ingenious use of ruins cordoned of in the middle of the city. The stones are protected and so are the cats.

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Thank you for sharing the photos of Rome. Friends who don't want to spend their time looking at your photos can always blog off.

Bernice said...

I just needed proof that you were actually there.

Anonymous said...

Your love of old stones is only matched by your love of old matter - or energy - they're pretty much the same right?

astrobassist said...

it looks like your trip really ROCKED! (ba dum bum psht!)