Thursday, September 11, 2008

You say toe-mah-to

The weather has been cool lately. (That is, it's been below 80F, which counts as cool in DC.) This is perfect timing, as my kitchen is currently a fiery inferno where I devote myself to removing water from tomatoes by various processes. The picture below pretty much sums it up: the oven has been on for two days as I oh-so-slowly turn twenty pounds of fresh tomatoes into about two pounds of dried tomatoes. The top of the stove is devoted to turning the other twenty pounds into tomato sauce. This is the first year I've attempted to dry tomatoes. I'm astounded by how small and light each slice becomes - this really is an ideal way to store tomatoes long term. Since I'm planning to keep them in the freezer, I've dried some so that they're almost as dry and leathery as the ones you buy in the store, and some are still moist like a plump raisin. If I find that I prefer one type when cooking with them, I'll stick to that in the future. (I act as if I planned this all out, but really the variety is a consequence of my occasional lapses of attention and my inability to slice the fruits to consistent thicknesses.)

5 comments:

stef said...

Interested to hear how your experiments turn out! I have to figure out what to do with the last of my tomatoes....

Gill - UK said...

As the proud owner of a "Lehman's - where sharp people shop" tomato slicing knife, I can recommend their use if the tomatoes you are slicing are not as fresh and firm as when they left the plant. The unequal depth of slice is in the hands of the operative.

Matty Lau said...

It took two days to dry tomatoes? I hope that wasn't all one batch. If so I could loan you my food dehydrator next time.

Anonymous said...

You reminded me of Stef's Tomato Confit recipe - another means of concentrating tomato flavor.

alexis said...

I am insanely jealous that you have a normal oven with which to do these experiments. My combioven would never allow this.