Friday, September 05, 2008

The smell of freshly sharpened pencils

Just a quick post today. Pictured as the Very Righteous Reverend herself, although she vamped a bit less during the actual ceremony.
-----
This week was the first week of the school year, and this year I was aware of it more than usual. When you're a graduate student, the time sort of blurs together. (I'm a sixth year grad student! Argh! Soon it will be time to retire and I still won't have completed my thesis.) This year a bunch of new students joined our research group and the excitement and terror of the first year has been vividly brought back to me. I'm also taking a class this semester, and it's been so long that I was a bit blase. I didn't remember to figure out where the classroom was until I was almost-too-late, and I don't seem to own any decent pens anymore, because I only type everything. I'm sure the impending due date of the first homework assignment will make it seem more real.
-----
Now, it's time to head home and batten the hatches in preparation of Hurricane Hanna.

5 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Today, it has poured with rain all day so my new little flock were not able to get out to play and let of steam - as seven year olds need to do. But I'm sure the UK rain is nothing compared to Hurricane Hanna - hope it doesn't spoil your birthday plans.

Anonymous said...

I thought the Very Righteous Reverend did a fabulous job! Was such fun to be a part of a very memorable occasion.

Anonymous said...

I've been telling you RM, you need to copy the Latin American model and be a graduate student forever...or until a convenient revolution occurs.

stef said...

I had to blow up the pic to see if that was the reverend's hair or a hat. either way would have been fabulous.

alexis said...

good luck with the classes and welcom back!