Sunday, November 02, 2008

Time for comfort food

We had a quiet weekend. Lately I've spent half of the weekend cooking; my homework load this semester is (as I have already extensively complained here) rather large and I find that if I can make a couple of big dishes on Saturday or Sunday I can coast until about Thursday without doing any significant cooking. Leaving me to devote more time to homework.

Saturday I baked an enormous winter squash and mushroom lasagna. I made it once, about a year ago, and it must have made an impression on Andrew because he asked for it again this year. It's not in our regular menu rotation because it's the kind of dish that takes about four hours to make. But then you get about five pounds of heavenly lasagna, so that makes it an occasional indulgence.

I also got to experience some good cooking karma. I baked two apple cakes like this one and gave one to some friends.
This morning, my neighbor gave me a pumpkin pie which he had make with his Jack o'lantern pumpkin. I thought jack o'lantern pumpkins weren't supposed to be very good eating, but this was a terrific pie:

So, you might ask, which did you decide to have for breakfast? Neither, I answer, we made beignets:

which were excellent, but a recipe of 18 fried dough lumps is perhaps a tad too much for two people's breakfasts. Not that we let that stop us, of course.

3 comments:

alexis said...

wow, that sounds like an interesting lasagna, more like a baked pasta really that happens to use lasagna noodles actually (still sounds good tho!)

Anonymous said...

Fried dough is truly a gift from the Gods.

stef said...

yay for fried anything!