Friday, November 14, 2008

Misty morning

Today is a cool, wet, gray November day. As I was walking to my office in the mist and fog, I was enjoying the trees with their muted colors, and the lonely leaves clinging to bare branches. I love fall. Actually, I love having four seasons: early winter evenings that make your home feel like a cozy haven, the burst of light and chlorophyll that is spring, the deep green of summer, and the crispness of fall. (Cliched descriptions, but nonetheless true.) I've occasionally wondered if I love winter and the change of the seasons because I spent most of my growing-up years in the Midwest. On the other hand, my father claims to abhor winter because he grew up in Minnesota, but I notice that he's still living in the Midwest. So is it environment or personality that determines this particular desire?

What about you? Do you live in a climate that is akin to where you grew up or is it radically different? And do you wish you could change the weather where you live?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe there is a prohibition on people from Albuquerque on commenting on anything weather related on the SRM blog.

Anonymous said...

I have never looked back since I left MN. I think Albuquerque has the right ratio of sunny to gray days. About 30 to 1!

alexis said...

in amsterdam we have two seasons - Very Wet and Cold (Sept thru June), and Wet and Cold (June thru Aug).