Sunday, June 24, 2012

Styling in Seattle

     I'm on my way to Seattle for two weeks of professional development. Flights to the Pacific Northwest always remind me how very, very big America is. It took me six hours to fly from Miami to Los Angeles. Now I'm sitting here, in the middle of my five-hour layover, waiting to fly the last two and a half hours that will take me to Seattle. It crosses my mind that for this much travel time (and money) I could have gone to Europe, and instead I'm still within the continental U.S.
     I knew that I'd need cooking supplies for this trip, which ruled out getting by with just a carry-on suitcase. This freed me to take as many clothes as I'd like. How many accessories do you need to be styling for two weeks? Four pairs of shoes, six scarves, two pairs of glasses, one crinoline, and two hats. 

5 comments:

alexis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alexis said...

I had to look up what a crinoline was. How on earth does that pack up?

And I wonder how long a direct flight would take from Miami to Seattle. They are both big cities, did you opt for layover to save or were there really no flights?

Gill - UK said...

What is a crinoline? I know it as a long dress with a low cut neckline, narrow waist and a hooped skirt - the sort of thing you would wear if you were going to spend the evenings dancing - imagine Cinderella before midnight.

de-I said...

Are you going to be staying at an extended stay place where you have a kitchen?

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Uncle de-I, for academics, extended stay places are dorms, which is where I am staying. But they are nice dorms, and they have kitchens. So I hoped to make this trip a bit less expensive by doing some of my own cooking.

Gill, when I say crinoline, I'm meaning only the poofy underskirt that goes under the gown you described. They are the things that make full skirts flare out.