Monday, June 11, 2012

Weekend Projects

 I made quark! I expect that, upon reading that, some people said, "Why not buy it?" and the rest of them said, "What is quark?" (Hint: it's not just a subatomic particle.) The answer to the first question is that Americans don't eat much quark, so it's expensive and rare. The answer to the second is, a soft white cheese frequently used in German cooking. I don't cook with it much because $5 a pint is too rich for my blood. But now that I've discovered how easy it is to make (i.e. easier than yogurt, and I make that all the time), it will be a regular item in our house. Basically, you heat milk to about 90F (which is close to room temperature in my kitchen), then stir in some buttermilk and leave it to sit out for 24 hours. Strain in cheesecloth for a few hours, and you have Magerquark (low-fat, creamy quark). Tonight we had it for dinner, mixed with pickles, paprika, and peppers, and served on hot potatoes. It's a recipe I've reconstructed from my exchange days in Germany, and brings back fond memories.
 I also want to show off a little craft project I hung in our living room. I wanted to brighten up a dark corner in our living room, but we didn't really need another lamp. I purchased some paper lanterns, strung them on a branch and turned it into a mobile. Later, Andrew wired in a switch on the cord, which is a bit nicer than reaching behind a bookshelf to plug it in.
While I've been crafting and cooking, Andrew and Ada completed six weeks of obedience classes. Ada earned a graduation certificate, which is now hanging on our refrigerator. This certificate makes me laugh out loud, because, really, what kind of person brags that their dog has earned a degree in "Basic Obedience"? But on the other hand, the trainer knows his audience, because a little part of me is proud of her. 

4 comments:

Matty Lau said...

Congrats Ada!!! (and her proud owners)

de-I said...

It's amazing that in spite of ourselves, we do like those pats on the back :)

The quark sounds very good. Since Wife is not a big yogurt/buttermilk type person, I doubt she'd be excited by my including it in our repertoire.

alexis said...

lol, I love your honesty that the dog trainers know how to please and you're not ashamed to admit it. Although perhaps part of that is the power of suggestion?

Kwark is a dessert here, often fruit flavored. Never thought to cook with it, it has a somewhat chalky after taste, I find.

Gill - UK said...

Well done Ada and Andrew and RM - did you notice that Ada has a different surname?