Friday, July 27, 2012

A Permanent (Vegetarian) Resident

I'm headed out to Philadelphia for a week of conferencing. I very much appreciate the work community I have, and it feels like I'm visiting a big group of old friends who like to talk about thinking and learning and physics as much as I do. However, conferences also mean giving talks, and that is my least favorite part of my job. I don't like giving talks, running workshops, or leading meetings, and those are all things that I will grit by teeth and do, because it really is an important part of being an academic.

But enough complaining - let me tell you about the good parts of my life. Andrew received his new green card, which makes him a permanent Permanent Resident, instead of a conditional Permanent Resident. I think that means that the government has decided we have a real marriage, which, in our case, is almost (but not quite) as important as Andrew and I knowing that we have a real marriage.

To celebrate, I make "bacon" (recipe here). I will flat out admit that it's not at all like real bacon. If you were forced to give up the pleasures of pig-eating, you would find this a poor substitute. But if you have willingly given up meat, then it's terrific to have a smoky, crunchy, chewy, salty, oily, umami-filled treat like this. I was inspired to make this by a friend in Seattle, who told me that she no longer eats fake meats because they're not made with real food. I thought, "She's right, but I bet I could make some veggie bacon from recognizable ingredients." This recipe serves two purposes: I save money (because fake meat is expensive), and I get to eat real food (basically beans, rice, and flavorings).

Andrew used it to make a bacon and egg sandwich. He tells me that this is classic truckers' food in England, traditionally topped with ketchup, and he has fond memories of eating them during his time driving a delivery truck.

5 comments:

alexis said...

congrats to Andrew! We were just wondering how it would work if we ever moved back to the states with Rob and I

Gloria said...

Yes,Congratulations to Andrew and to you to RM. I'm sure it takes away some worries!

de-I said...

It's good to get the green card residency thing behind you.

Denise Annemarie said...

I'm glad to hear that Andrew is now here permanently -- I am sure that is one less worry!

P.S. Stacy gave me your blog address (it's great!)and I added it to "Blogs I follow" on my blog (RecipesPlusMore.blogspot.com). (She thought it would be fine with you -- if it isn't, let me know and I can remove your link)

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Hi Denise, it's good to hear from you. Thanks for adding me! I'll add your blog to my list as well.