Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fixing stuff

     My father and brother had a tradition of monthly "work days", where they'd take turns working on home improvement projects at each other's houses. We had emulated this tradition here in Maryland, with our friends N and S. I asked to keep the tradition going even though Andrew is gone. This means, though, that I need to pull my own weight: instead of helping to make dinner, I am learning how to fix things.
     This month, we replaced a toilet. I watched how to use a torch to loosen the nut corroded to a bolt after decades of disuse (but next time I'm going to ask to use the torch myself).

I also learned the benefits of being small when you're working in a small house - that's me behind the wall, screwing the bowl to the tank while N steadies it.
At the end, I also used a chainsaw for the first time. I was glad it was a smaller, electric version, because that seemed intimidating enough.
I must admit, I was both sore and proud of myself by the end of the day.

8 comments:

Bernice said...

Great job! RM and N. It is nice to see you are keeping up the family traditions.

Gill - UK said...

I am very impressed - well done RM

alexis said...

You are MY hero!

de-I said...

All these will be of great value to you as you leap into homeownership.

jonny goldstein said...

Um, interesting in coming up to NYC and fixing our kitchen sink?

Carissa said...

So proud!

Carissa said...

So proud!

Unknown said...

That was such an experience, Renee! Being able to set up the toilet and use the chainsaw in one day can truly be exhilarating! How's your toilet now? One's plumbing is a serious matter since a simple leak may cause heaps of trouble, if left unchecked. Thanks for sharing! :)

Kurt Verdejo @ Total PLBG