Sunday, October 27, 2013

Milestones

Friday was precisely three months since Andrew's death. I now understand how new parents know the exact age of their child. "He'll be fourteen months next Tuesday," they say. When really big events happen in your life, you don't have to keep track of when they happened; you just know.

Saturday was Andrew's UK memorial. His family did a lovely job arranging it, and included me in as much of the planning as possible. I'm glad I didn't attend, simply because the time off and expense of traveling to the UK would have been overwhelming. I also didn't know Andrew's extended family as well as his immediate family, and I'm in contact with his immediate family regularly. But my thoughts were with them all day.

This morning I'm off on another business trip. Trips, like anything that is not part of my regular routine, are hard. But I know that the best way to make all these things easier is to simply do them.

3 comments:

Gill - UK said...

You were in our thoughts too.

alexis said...

sending our thoughts out to you. Milestones are hard. You are handling it with grace and strength. Maybe you don't feel that way always!

de-I said...

It is what you need to do. Remember but keep moving forward. Always thinking of and for you.