Sunday, October 06, 2013

In the woods

     Two weeks ago I got to go camping in Pennsylvania with old friends. They are all physicists, except for one lone artist/entrepreneur, and I've known all of them for years. It was a bit overwhelming to plan for even a weekend trip. For the first time it many years it was my job to do everything: plan the food, buy the groceries, find all the camping gear, and pack the car. But I had company for most of the trip, thanks to my friends B&R, who flew to Baltimore to travel up with me. Then I had all my friends around, to help me set up the tent and loan me soap or salt when I didn't have it. 
     The weather was terrific until Saturday night, when it rained for most of the night, and everyone liked the dumpling soup I made when it was my turn to cook. Cooking while camping is great, because everything tastes better outside.
     Here are a few other highlights:
Admiring a waterfall on our "hike". I have to admit that it was more of a walk in the woods than a hike.
Two-year-olds discovering a lake, which led to some parents discovering that the didn't bring enough dry clothes. No, I am not a bad photographer; the child on the left was anonymized.
While walking around the lake, I remembering thinking how much I missed this type of terrain in Miami. See that hill? That's an elevation change of more than 5 feet! 
On previous camping trips we had big tick problems. This time, some people took serious anti-tick measures, including taping their socks to their trousers. In the end, ticks weren't a serious problem, whether you were using DEET or masking tape.
Okay, so some of the campers preferred cottage cheese and cheerios to the dumpling soup and vegetable-scrambled eggs that made up our meals.

6 comments:

Bernice said...

Was that blue duct tape? Very stylish. Looks like a great camping trip.

Gloria said...

Looks like fun. Glad the ticks were not a problem. The last time I had bug problems camping was way back when we lived in Maryland. And that was the horse flies on Assateague Island. That's a fun place to camp too.

Matty Lau said...

Not blue duct tape. Blue painters' tape. That is the latest in camping wear. All the fashion models on the NYC runways were sporting this in their camping wear! (Sarcasm to be noted, please).

jonny goldstein said...

Packing for camping is a mental hurdle for me too. But so glad I went and got to hang out with you and the rest of the crew.

Gill - UK said...

A good time was had by all - thanks for the photgraphs - the surroundings look so relaxing.

de-I said...

I do not miss bugs when I'm in the woods and ditto the love of all things involving elevations