Sunday, March 02, 2014

It's done!

     Two years ago, I asked Andrew to pick out a Christmas stocking kit. Most of my family members have homemade stockings, and I thought it was time he had one. After careful thought, he chose a counted cross-stitch pattern. I knew this project would take months (actually, years), but we ordered it and I started work later that year. To be fair to him, he did not understand how much work he was asking of me, and I figured it was worth it for a Christmas stocking he would use for the rest of his life.
     In the end, of course, he never got to use it. He did enjoy watching it take form, and rejoiced every time another cat was completed. I finished the pattern this morning. My mother well help me with the straightforward task of turning it into a stocking, and I have offered it to his sister. Andrew's parents are planning to come to the U.S. next summer, and I'm glad it will be ready for them to take back. I don't think I could trust something like this to the post.
     I thought finishing this would make me sad, but it turns out I'm happy. It's a beautiful piece of work, Andrew got to see its creation, I liked making it (most of the time), and his sister will be able to enjoy it. And now I can finally start a new project.

7 comments:

Gill - UK said...

That looks fabulous - such a labour of love. I hope that you stitch your initials on it somewhere.

Carissa said...

beautiful!

alexis said...

it is beautiful! So is the whole story behind it.

de-I said...

Ditto Alexis

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Yes - very lovely!

Unknown said...

As someone who has done cross-stitch but never something that elaborate, I have some inkling how much work this was. It looks great (Chris also gives an enthusiastic thumbs-up).

Denise Annemarie said...

That is so beautiful! I too have done cross stitch and I know how long it takes. I can see how much love went into this gift from your heart.