Sunday, March 16, 2014

Caretaker

     I love my pets and the company they provide me, but this week I would have gladly traded them to someone else. Ada the dog didn't like the thunderstorms in Miami, but she had a lot of opportunities to get used to them. During that time, we acquired her thundershirt, which wraps her tightly and makes her feel safer. We also learned that petting or giving her attention only reinforces her whining and barking. So when howling winds hit on Wednesday night, I knew to wrap her up, turn on a radio for background noise, and ignore her. But ignoring is still pretty miserable when the dog is whining and barking all night long.
     For her side, Phi has been throwing up occasionally. This is not terribly unusual for cats, and the vet said I don't need to bring her in yet. But yesterday she managed to throw up on my bed, dirtying the sheets, pillowcases, electric blanket, and duvet. This is quite impressive, considering that (a) the volume of her stomach can't be more than 1/2 cup and (b) I always make my bed, so she practically had to burrow under the covers to manage to hit all those things at once.
     Maybe this is why people garden - my plants cause relatively little emotional distress or mess. This year I'm growing seedlings. A friend loaned me her grow light and helped me with the setup. As you can see below, the asparagus and green peppers are thriving. Not pictured are the 18 tomato plants, watermelons, and herbs which are perched on my radiators. Raising the soil temperature makes seeds germinate faster. You can buy seedling heating pads for this process, but my radiators are working perfectly. After the plants emerge out of the soil, I transfer the pots to the grow light. Since Maryland has an earlier spring than the Midwest, I expect that these seedlings will go in the ground in early May, and I should be able to sow seeds for lettuce and other cold weather crops this weekend - right after the snow we're getting tomorrow melts.


8 comments:

alexis said...

you are turning into quite the green thumb!

I am sorry for the pet woes. It's hard when you can't explain it to them!

de-I said...

Sadly because of all our construction there will be little gardening this year. Not being a 'pet' person, I will refrain from all comments on the other topic.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

AS de-I said, we won't be doing much gardening here. Depending on where we are in the landscape project I may throw in a few annuals just to get some color! I will have to do my gardening vicariously through you this year.

Shaela said...

Wow those asparagus look great! I thought it would take so much longer...go radiators!

Gill - UK said...

I don't think I am going to be planting outside yet a while. I would like to try growing garlic but I have to read up how in case it is not a suitable crop for the area.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Shaela, I'm kind of worried, because some of the asparagus is already taller than the lights. They say to keep the lights 3" above the seedlings, because less distance will cause them to burn and greater distance will cause them to be spindly. But what do you do when all your seedlings are different heights?

Bernice said...

You have motivated me. I probably will not start from seeds but did buy a variety lettuce seed package today.

JimG said...

Hi Renee Michelle - You've motivated me, too. I was doing some winter cleaning, and uncovered a couple of packets of cilantro and basil seeds that I had long forgotten about. Never done them from the seed level, but now I have a plan for those this weekend!-jimG