Monday, April 21, 2014

Handywoman

     My friend N and I have been working on a big woodworking project (which is not yet ready to be revealed). When I suggested it, I didn't realize that I was proposing a large project, but it's going to take months. In fact, I'll be at N & S's house for three weekends in a row as we try to make some progress.
     I haven't done any woodworking since I was a kid, but I inherited a lot of great tools from Andrew, and it makes me happy to learn how to put them to use. This Saturday I learned how to plane wood. It's very satisfying to turn a rough piece of wood into a rather polished-looking post.

There's a second reason that progress has been slow - we needed to spend the first part of the day repairing a leak in the roof. Although N did the hard work up on the second story, I hauled up tools using a pulley and bucket (physics in action!) and kept the ladder steady. We decided to make things safer by tying N to the roof using a safety harness. Unfortunately, there aren't that many place to tie a rope up on a roof, so we chose to tie it around the chimney. To do this, N hurled the rope completely over the house, and then I went to the other side of the house to toss the rope back around the chimney. We had tied the rope to a stick to make it easier to throw, but it turns out that I'm not that good at throwing a thick rope over a two-story house. The broken storm window below is evidence of that.

So, during the next project day, I get to learn how to replace a broken storm window.

5 comments:

de-I said...

This is very motivating. I'm developing a big list of chores that require a handywoman in the event I can get you to visit. I would never have tackled making that list if I wasn't motivated by the fact that you could possible do some of them for me :)

Bernice said...

I think you Dad always said, "You break it, you get to fix it" when you were children. Looks like N has the same idea! I am amazed at what you are learning.

alexis said...

oh my goodness! LOL. I still can't get over how cool it is that you have friends you can learn this stuff from. Really nice.

Gill - UK said...

I shouldn't laugh but it sounds as though it would make a good cartoon - well done, acquiring new skills.

Ms. D said...

Awesome that you are learning so much. I love seeing other women do their own handy work!