Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Back home

My joy at finally getting back home is matched only by my pets' joy at my return. They have been following me around whenever I'm home, looking for just a few more cuddles. As usual, the cat sits on my lap, but she now also follows me around the house meowing when I get up for a moment. Usually such behavior is reserved only for empty food bows, not attention.

My work trips were productive, and worth the time invested, but seven cities in three weeks was a bit too much. My final stop was Savannah, Georgia, for five days. I have a soft spot for Savannah, because I lived there when I was a child. It's a much easier place to visit in April, then, say July. The memories of sweltering summers have stuck with me through the decades. Since this was a spring visit, though, I could simply enjoy the azaleas and Spanish moss and take comfort that it wasn't summer.

One good result of all the travel was that my companion, Flat Stanley, toured a lot of the country. This was for my niece's school project, explained here and here. Frequently as I stopped to take a picture, a complete stranger would recognize Flat Stanley. I felt like I had been admitted into a special club. Luckily my niece likes to read, because I filled almost an entire notebook with pictures and journal entries about our adventures.

5 comments:

Gill - UK said...

I remember reading Flat Stanley to my Year 3 children - it was always a popular book.

alexis said...

that is a super cool idea. Once again you outdo yourself as an aunt. I bet the other kiddos in her class were quite jealous!

de-I said...

Put me in the 'not a clue' section when it comes to Flat Stanley.

Bernice said...

I can't wait to see the journal when I visit you niece.

Shaela said...

I'm so glad you gave your Flat Stanley a face!