Thursday, April 17, 2014

Little successes

I've slowly been catching up with things since my long block of travel. Last weekend I eked out some time, in between all my social engagements, to plant in the garden. It's exciting to be planting a spring garden this year; last year I couldn't start planting until mid-May because we were unpacking the house. This year, I've planted arugula, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, and broccolini. If even half of it comes up, I'll be well-provisioned for green vegetables. And I don't need any red/orange vegetables, because I'm still eating sweet potatoes and tomatoes from last year.

Along with garden time, I've enjoyed a few other treats. The daffodils are blooming in the garden, and I made a big plate of donuts over the weekend.

On Saturday I went to see the famous cherry blossoms downtown. I've viewed them for many springs, but this year was the first time I watched the parade. I don't think I'll try that again, because parade + Japanese culture festival + people viewing the blossoms = far too many people. I knew that using the Metro would let me bypass the horrendous traffic, but I didn't anticipate that they would close stations because of sheer overcrowding. When I tried to go home, I was met with, "Sorry, this station is now exit only; walk to the next one." I could see why they did that - the stream of people flowing out of the station was continuous.

Lastly, remember these slippers I made last year? They were nice, but I realized I could improve the design. They were far too big because I didn't understand how to size my feet properly, and the soles required a lot of darning as holes appeared. The new, improved slippers fit perfectly and boast a sturdy vinyl sole, as well as stylish infinity-symbol decorations.

4 comments:

Bernice said...

Did you have to punch holes all around the vinyl to attach it to the slipper? The slippers look great.

alexis said...

oh man, why did you have to post the picture of the donuts?? Good on you for getting all those things started! I'm excited to see how the garden gets on.

Gill - UK said...

Well done with the garden. I am still at the weeding and tidying stage, seed planting can wait a couple more weeks. I've never heard of broccolini - something to look up.

de-I said...

For some r3ason the pictures didn't come up so I was spared the agony of seeing the donut pictures.

As we are in the process of redesigning and rebuilding our backyard, I'm afraid there will be no garden veggies this year for us :(