Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Summer


Last year we managed to go the entire month of June without turning on the air conditioning. I don't pay for heat, because the radiators are centrally controlled, but I do pay to run my window units, so I have incentive to put off using them. I can mostly manage because I live on the ground floor and most of the windows face north. But my resolve is starting to be tested- it's been 80F (27C) in the house for a number of days, and the weather is supposed to be in the 90sF (low 30s) for the rest of the week. But I'll hang on as long as I can, or as long as the wilting animals don't look too pathetic.
     On the other hand, the sunshine is making the garden plants grow like gangbusters. Tonight I had a salad that vividly reminded me why I garden - fresh lettuce, radish, and the first peas.

2 comments:

Gill - UK said...

We could do with some of your sunshine - I think I'll be harvesting from my UK veg come the autumn - not enough sustained warm weather but plenty of rain.

alexis said...

What a big difference being on the ground floor makes!