Friday, June 13, 2014

Weather

     I feel like I haven't dried off in the last week. It's been a rainy, humid start to the summer. On Tuesday we had flash floods (4" in an hour) which prevented some coworkers from getting to work. Since I'm a pedestrian commuter, I managed to get to work on time. However, in my not-so-clever attempt to deal with the rain, I wore flip-flops during my commute and then changed into my good shoes when I arrived. As I waded through ankle-deep puddles, I found that people, like cars, can hydroplane.
     I try not to complain about the weather too much, because I still enjoy living in a place that has weather. Miami was hot and humid for six months and warm and comfortable for six months. I never consulted the weather report, and I never thought too much about what the day would be like. Even though I've been here a year, I'm still enjoying the seasons and the fact that days can be different.
     In other news, a neighbor (and friend) J turned 50 this week, so friend C and I cooked wonton soup, followed by cake and ice cream for dessert. I found a recipe for walnut ice cream that I will definitely be using again.

I only had two candles. So I had to let each candle equal 25 candles.
 Ada hopes that someone will drop something.

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

What is wonton soup - I've never heard of it before?
The ice cream sounds fabulous- enough to tempt me to invest in an ice cream maker.

alexis said...

did you make the cake too? He is lucky to have such good neighbors

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Gill, wontons are a type of chinese dumpling. They have a thin wrapper, filled with chopped meat or veggies. I use chopped tofu, ginger, chives, and water chestnuts.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am very fortunate! The dinner was delicious! I think it's amazing how quick and high-quality the ice cream is made with the ice cream maker. Thanks C & R/M for making it a fun evening! -jg