Monday, October 27, 2014

Product plug: Mint

     Several years ago, my brother convinced me to start using Mint. Andrew took care of the bills, so I didn't pay much attention at the time. But since it became my job last year, I've realized what an awesome (and free) service it is, so I'm going to hype it up a bit.
     Mint works because you give it access to all of your financial accounts. That's a little scary, I know, but here's what it does a lot for me in return. I'm notified whenever there's a charge I consider "large" (which I've set as $500). I'm notified when I'm charged interest fees. I can see all of my credit card or debit charges in one list, and see when bills are coming due. I track all my spending, because it automatically collects all the charged amounts, and I've trained myself to manually add in my few cash purchases as soon as I make them, on my phone app. I can see my total net worth, and I can see my spending in various categories over time.
     Because I review purchases weekly in Mint, before I have a chance to forget what they are, I've saved tons of money. Here are the mistakes I've caught in the last six months:
  • I was double-charged for a hotel room.
  • A newspaper subscription was automatically renewed, when I wanted it canceled.
  • I was inexplicably charged interest fees, although I paid off my bill in full.
  • I was triple-charged for a purchase, over the period of a few months.
     There may be other apps or software programs that work as well as Mint, so I guess my real message is: tracking your spending can really pay off. 

3 comments:

alexis said...

sounds great! I don't imagine it will work with my non-US cards

Gill - UK said...

I've never heard of Mint - but reading of your experiences it's scary to think that you could lose so much money when the firms you are dealing with make 'mistakes' or take renewals for granted - and I do a lot of my finances online so I shall have to be wary.

de-I said...

That sounds very helpful. I have an app called Wife which performs much of these same functions. It can't be put on a device however, and as a free standing unit runs on high quality alcohol.