Sunday, October 12, 2014

This and that

Today I worked on putting the garden to bed. Before this morning, I would have told you that I was nearly done with harvesting. After 6 hours of work, I've revised that opinion. The haul is shown below: sweet potatoes, green peppers, sweet potato greens, peas, salad greens, radishes, tomatoes, and Swiss Chard. It took me the rest of the day to clean, blanch, and freeze it. Bring on the freezing weather - I'm ready!

----------------------------

The other way to get ready for winter - eat lots of heavy foods. For dinner I ate one of my favorite English dinners - cheese on toast. I make the version that uses a white sauce plus beer and cheddar cheese.

----------------------------

I'm also celebrating good health today. In the past two weeks, every creature in the house has been sick. I missed work, took the dog on midnight trips out to visit every tree in the neighborhood, and cleaned up after the cat was sick all over the bed. I'm not ever sure that disease are communicable between cats, dogs, and people, so it was probably just bad luck. In any case, I think we're all well again.

3 comments:

alexis said...

oh man, nothing worse than when the whole household is ill! Glad to hear everyone is feeling better.

I have sweet potato envy.

de-I said...

That is a great still life of the produce!

Pulisha said...

What an amazing harvest! Sorry everyone was sick. It has been like that in our house too. It must be the change in the weather. :(