Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Identity


I work at One Physics Ellipse, in a four-story building of physics organizations. This is pretty unusual, because most physicists who work outside academia are in companies where there are just a few (or one) physicists. This has been quite a different experience for me personally. Although I worked at universities before this, in physics departments, I didn’t always feel part of the department. My research was in physics education, and it is not always the case that other physicists consider that to be “real” physics. I thought it was – I had to take the same classes and pass the same qualifying exam, and I think like a physicist. I’ve even been involved in some rather heated debates with physics professors about whether people like me should be part of their department (and that was at a party, which is to say I wasn’t quite prepared). At my new job, I almost never have to convince people that I’m a physicist – it’s in the name of my organization, even in the name of the street I work on. And I like that.

4 comments:

alexis said...

I like that too!

Do you think that has anything to do with gender? I hope not but I can't help but think of it.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Alexis, that's a good question. I'm sure that's also a bit of it. If you see women (non-students) in physics departments, too much of the time it's because they are administrative workers and not professors. It's impossible for me not to notice that I don't look "like a physicist". (And even I have that stereotype in my brain; it's just part of the culture.)

Gill - UK said...

You could not do your job if you were not a physicist and I am sure you're employer is happy with you.

de-I said...

One has to question the self-confidence and self-image of these 'physicists" who need to create an exclusively defined class to give them status.