Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Project Day, episode 8

     This weekend turned into a special double-edition of Project Day. My friend N and I are re-purposing an old console radio that my father gave me. The radio tubes and phonograph were ripped out, and we’re installing shelves so it can be used as a liquor cabinet. I think it would be great to have this done in time for my big Christmas party. (Because planning a big party isn’t enough, I’m using the occasion to redecorate my bedroom and refurbish furniture at the same time. I admit this is a bit ambitious.)
     The most difficult part of the project is the front cabinet door. The radio originally had a phonograph that slid out from the front. When not in use, a door closed over it. We need to change the door so that the hinges are on the side (picture how a refrigerator opens) instead of at the bottom (picture how an oven opens). The door has curved edges and weighs about 10 pounds, so if I didn’t know technically minded people, I don’t think I can do this. Luckily, N is sketching out the hinge in Mathematica (a computational program we often use in physics) and my father will fabricate the hinges. It’s good to be related to an engineer, especially one as gifted as my father.
     If all goes well, there will be pictures in about a month. If it doesn’t go well, you’ll never hear about this again.

4 comments:

de-I said...

I like your attitude toward publishing. Sounds just like real life academic publishing :)

Carissa said...

can't wait to see about it! And I'm sure I'll be hearing about this again =)

alexis said...

OMG that sounds so incredible. You have incredible vision, I'm sure your engineer friends adore you for giving them such fun challenges to sink their teeth into.

Gill - UK said...

There should be lots of pictures whatever the outcome - but I'm sure you'll be successful.