Sunday, November 02, 2014

Appeltaart

     My cousin AinA goes crazy for apples the way I go crazy for strawberries in the spring. I can't compete with her, but I do buy several dozen pounds over the course of the fall. One favorite use is apple cake. I have made several this fall, but none has been quite right. I was looking for a high ratio of apples to cake, and most had too much cake. Perhaps I really wanted a pie, but pies tend to be gooey-sweet and I just don't love them.
     However, I made my Alexis'  Dutch apple pie, and I think it is the winner. It's not overwhelmingly sweet, and has a shortbread base topped with almond paste*. Then you just pile on apples, tossed with cinnamon and jam. It's pretty straightforward, although it would have been easier if I had already had almond paste (instead I made it from scratch) and if I hadn't fought with the translation so long. (It took me a while to figure out that "Push the meat to good." meant "Press the marzipan mixture into the bottom.") I highly recommend it. If anyone wants to make it, email me and I'll send you a cleaned-up English language version. It's definitely worth it. And here's the recipe!


*Edited from marzipan to almond paste. I just figured out that they are different things - almond paste is softer, and the almond isn't ground so fine. That's the one you want, not marzipan.

5 comments:

Gill - UK said...

We have so many cooking apples this year and there is a limit to how many the neighbours can consume - a copy of the recipe would be very welcome -the result looks delicious.

alexis said...

OMG, I am sooooo impressed you made appeltart from the original Dutch recipe! Bet that German came in handy. :)

I love appeltart, glad you liked it too!

de-I said...

Love the endorsement since Ms A has promised to make this for our upcoming family reunion.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I've added the recipe to the main post, for Gill and anyone who wants it.

Gill - UK said...

Thank you RM