Saturday, May 09, 2015

Hobbies

     Dear readers, I hope you are prepared for the annual parade of garden photos. I spend so much time there that I can't help posting on it often. I think I have more to show this year than most years in early May. A fair number of plants came up on their own - herbs from last year, garlic and tulips that I planted in the fall - but others are products of the the seed-growing factory I host in my bedroom.
     I just planted all the tomatoes. You can't really see them in this picture, but they live in the blue plastic-covered bed. The plastic is my attempt to protect them from blight, and it has mostly worked in the past. It's a bit early for tomato planting, but the soil is quite warm (according to the instant-read candy thermometer that I use for this purpose) and, more importantly, the plants were over a foot tall and desperately needed to get out of their tiny containers.
     I feel lucky to have discovered that I love gardening. Of course, two years before that I discovered that I loved Indian classical dance, and last year I discovered a love of woodworking. So maybe I should say that I am grateful to be interested in so many things, and to have the opportunity to learn how to do them.

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Gardening is addictive - I don't think you will give up on gardening in the next few years(decades)!

Shaela said...

Your candy thermometer and my "feeling" agree - I planted the last of the tomatoes yesterday. I'm looking forward to more pictures!

de-I said...

I feel that you should be combining some of your hobbies. Certainly woodworking allows you to build structures for your gardening. And as Indian Classical dance is I'm sure rooted in Hindu spiritual culture, you could certainly be doing dances that curry favor with the gardening gods.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Uncle de-I, that is an excellent idea! Then I would have time for all my hobbies.