Monday, May 04, 2015

Torten

     Since returning from my fact-finding trip to Germany, where I researched tortes, I've made two German tortes. Each time I underestimate how much time it will take. First, I always have to translate a bit. I can read the German, but then I have to answer questions like, "How many cherries are in a jar in Germany?" "How much gelatin is in a 'sheet'?" And then there are always a few substitutions that I have to investigate, since U.S. grocery stores don't usually carry things like potato starch or whipped cream stiffener.
     I also forget how BIG these things are. I need to promise myself to only make half-batches from now on. I took the first to a party, and shared the second with neighbors and friends, but it's still a lot of cake.
     Friesentorte mit Kirschen (Cherry torte from Frisia, a region on the North Sea). Each cake layer is topped with meringue and almonds, and the filling is cherries and cream.

Kirch-Joghurt-Torte. (Cherry yogurt torte).A chocolate cake, split in three, is layered with a yogurt/cream/cherry mixture. The base is a standard shortbread layer, which means the bottom of the cake never gets mushy. It's hard to tell in this picture, but the cake is very tall, maybe 6 inches, so that it towered above my springform pan.

5 comments:

de-I said...

I'm so happy you've decided that the only way to satisfy your torte making passion is to find outside markets for them. We'll be happy to be receiving our 'Torte of the Month Club' offerings.

Gill - UK said...

So mouth watering - I'm sure the friends and neighbours didn't mind helping out.

Carissa said...

oh it was delicious, thank you for sharing

alexis said...

your friends and neighbors are very lucky. I volunteer any time you need to do more testing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Kirch-Joghurt-Torte sampler. It was sehr gut! -jg