Monday, May 25, 2015

By the numbers


Since last weekend was devoted to friends and traveling, I spent the holiday weekend catching up on things.

My weekend by the numbers:

30 miles cycled. That was 10 more than my goal.
20 pounds of strawberries, picked, hulled, and frozen. That's a bit less than last year's 35 pounds, but should probably last me until next spring
23 eggs collected from the chickens I was tending. Said eggs were turned into fresh pasta and deviled eggs.
5 items of clothing mended. I try to stay on top of mending. With the 333 Project I can't afford to have clothes out of the lineup.
6 episodes of A Brief History of Mathematics podcast from BBC 4 listened to. I just finished the 170-part History of Rome, which was awesomely educational and interesting. I'm looking for something to replace it. The History of Math is good, but it's only 10 quarter-hour episodes, so it's not going to last long.
2 servings of strawberry shortcake and 1 bowl of strawberry ice cream consumed. I have finally figured out that when you are a grownup and live alone, there's no one to tell you that you can't consider strawberry shortcake your lunch.

4 comments:

de-I said...

I now understand WHY the 30 miles biking is required based upon your lunch choices :)

I greatly applaud your delving into Roman History!

Gill - UK said...

Well done on the cycling.
BBC 'I' player for Radio 4 - a weekly series on the use and mis-interpretation of statistics - It may be too basic for you, but it certainly makes me more aware of how statistics can sound very reasonable, until you dig a little.

alexis said...

that strawberry shortcake looks very good - what recipe do you use?

And I salute you on 20 lb of strawberries. I know from childhood it is difficult work!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Alexis - the recipe for the shortcake is here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/strawberry-shortcake-recipe3.html

The new thing I'm really excited about is adding cornstarch (or the European equivalent - potato starch?) to whipped cream. Just a teaspoon for a cup, and I can whip a whole batch that lasts days. Ah, the wonders of chemistry.

Gill - thanks for the tip, and I'll check out the podcast.