Monday, December 28, 2015

Novice plumber

     My father and I were at Home Depot for five hours today. This is quite possible the longest time I have ever spent shopping in one store, and most certainly the longest the two of us have ever shopped together. We hadn't planned on such a long trip, and were forced to turn to Home Depot's small selection of snacks for sustenance, so lunch was Coke and peanuts.
     When we were done, we had bought a $800 worth of tubing, connectors, drywall, paint, and tools. We haven't done any actual plumbing, but we have spent three days walking around my basement, looking at pipes, pulling out bits of wall to look at more pipes, and researching options. At the time my father suggested helping me replace all of my house's plumbing at Christmas, I was pleased that he wanted to help me, but I assumed I'd be pretty clueless. However, as we spend all this time researching and discussing, I'm feeling more comfortable. I'll always be less experienced than my father when it comes to home repair (as are 98% of people, I think), but by the time we're done, I think I'll feel comfortable doing smaller plumbing repairs on my own.
     Stay tuned for more scintillating plumbing posts...

4 comments:

de-I said...

Scintillating plumbing posts...sounds like that should be a blog unto itself.

At least I now know where your Mother is and why she hasn't posted anything.

Gill - UK said...

'How to ...' Youtube videos don't have quite the same depth of knowledge that Gerry has. It will transform how many taps you can switch on at once.

alexis said...

well to be fair, uncle G does have about 40+ years' head start on you to learn all this stuff. But good on you for starting to play catch up! :)

Unknown said...

When I needed to install new water pipes in my kitchen, I did think about doing the job myself, but then I thought better of it. There are just too many things that can go wrong, and you need to play it safe when dealing with water in your home. I'd contact your local plumbing company for a quote.