Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Cheerful DIY-ing

     There hasn't been a stove for four days, nor water since early this morning. Furniture is piled up in the living room and porch, and my mother is now sleeping in the hallway. Projects have consumed the rest of the house. My father and I put up drywall in the living room while my mother is painting two bedrooms. The bathroom sink was removed days ago, and there is a large-ish hole that connects the bathroom and kitchen (i.e. there's no much privacy when you're in the bathroom).
     I am impressed with my parents' fortitude and stamina, and their good cheer. Although I now have guest rooms, they are not yet usable, so my parents tolerate makeshift beds in ramshackle rooms and my mother tells me how pleased she is that I have a house and how much fun we're all having. And in truth, it's not that bad. Yes, it'll be great when I have a stove again, and we're definitely making the return of running water a top priority. But we're all in good spirits, my father is having fun teaching me, and I'm having fun learning*. 

Some of what I've learned so far: plumbing isn't that scary any more. It used to involve soldering and precise measurements, but it doesn't have to. Because my dad is here and is awesome at working with copper pipe, we're doing some of that. But there are new products that make it relatively painless, and I think in the future I'd be able to do quite a bit of my own plumbing myself. How cool is that?

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

All the chaos will be a distant memory when the job is complete and I don't think you need to use your newly-learned plumbing skills for the forseeable future - unless its doing plumbing jobs for other people.
I'm impressed that you have made the time to post.

de-I said...

It would be much cooler if your house were in Albuquerque and I would be able to call you up when I had a problem so you could use your new found knowledge.

alexis said...

that is amazingly cool. I would love to also learn all that!

Unknown said...

I love doing anything creative or that involves learning a new skill. All the hard work and discomfort will be over before you know it and you will have an enormous sense of satisfaction because you worked on your house with your bare hands. You also never can tell when you will be able to put your newly acquired plumbing skills to good use and you will never have to be unemployed, should you ever need a job!