Sunday, December 20, 2015

More home discoveries

     Today was an extra special project day, because it was the first one at my new house. I had decided that we would install two electrical outlets in the bathroom. There were none in there when I moved in, and I thought I needed one on the wall, for things like hair dryers and razors, and one under the sink, so I could recharge my electric toothbrush.
     As always, planning took a very long time. We scouted out pathways for the wire through the walls, discussed what parts we'd need, and just generally spent a long time staring at my bathroom fixtures. In the end, we installed the outlet shown here, just to the left of the existing light switch. I've opened up the mirrored cabinet so you can see the little discovery we made. N and I had looked at the odd strip inside the top of the cabinet, trying to figure out whether it was a storage device or perhaps used to have a light fixture attached. S had the brilliant idea to read the label, which said "Tap-a-line 120 V" and that's when we realized it was a string of outlets.
See? You can plug in an entire line of appliances, right next to each other. It's somewhat shocking that something like this was once allowed. It can't believe that this would be up to code today because you can cram a huge number of plugs on to one circuit, and the live parts of the circuit seem so exposed.
It still functions, though, so I'm planning to use it.
     In the other room, S the very-experienced-painter started working on the Blue Bedroom. I suppose I'll need to come up with a new name soon; it had blue walls and navy blue carpet when I bought the house. I've pulled up the carpet, and S began priming the walls. I'm guessing that it'll take a number of coats to cover up all that blue, but then the room will need to be christened again.

5 comments:

de-I said...

Perhaps it can become 'The Bedroom Formerly Known As Blue'?

alexis said...

I second that idea!

Gill - UK said...

How many gadgets do you have for the bathroom? - toothbrush, hairdryer, shaver - I can't think of anymore. I don't think there is any danger of you overloading the system.

de-I said...

Can the toothbrush charger fit in the medicine cabinet? Isn't it hard to use the dryer if you can't see the mirror on the open door of the cabinet?

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Excellent name, de-I!

There are now two outlets: one is the existing outlet, inside the mirrored cabinet, which can be used for the toothbrush charger. The other outlet is new, on the wall, which can be used for hair dryers and razors. I think that guests will find the wall outlet easier, and we ran 20 Amps to it directly (which is quite a bit for one outlet) so that using a dryer wouldn't blow a fuse.