Monday, May 16, 2016

Dust

After my mother (aka the unpaid laborer) left, I discovered that I had wrongly discounted my father's advice. During my mother's long days of scraping my bedroom floor, he suggested buying a belt sander and using that to remove the rubber and glue on the floor. (My father's most treasured DIY motto, "Never do it by hand when you could use a machine," closely followed by, "That took longer that I thought it would.") The sander works better than a scraper, which means my mother did more work than she needed to.
However, the sanding is still pretty intense. I can manage about 30 minutes a day, after which the sander gets too hot and my arms are too tired to continue. Using a belt sander is much more difficult than an oscillating sander; since the belt is moving in only one direction, you are continually fighting against a machine that wants to fly away. It's like trying to continually hold back a toddler who wants to dash out into the street. 
It also generates enormous amounts of dust. Here I am, covered in black rubber dust and brandishing my sander. The picture quality is poor, but that's because there's so much junk in the air that it's hard to see.
At this point, I've moved into the spare bedroom downstairs, and it looks like I'll be there for the next month until this project is complete.

4 comments:

Bernice said...

Your unpaid laborer says, "I am glad it is you doing the sanding, not me." But I am glad you are making progress. Advice from your father, "When I sand a lot, I hold the sander at arm's length so I don't have to fight it as hard."

Gill - UK said...

Good advice from you father - but your mum's efforts must be making the job a little easier.

de-I said...

I am definitely NOT the DIY type.

alexis said...

LOL, RM. I could HEAR your father saying that, "that took longer than I thought it would."