Friday, May 20, 2016

Choose your own (floor) adventure

I've come to the point where I need to choose what to do with my bedroom floor. My design sense is failing me, and so I've decided to throw out the question to everyone I know. My bedroom is a large garret bedroom* with now-white walls and low ceilings. The floors will soon be well-sanded plywood subfloor - that's the stuff that's usually there to support your carpet or tile, and it's not usually exposed. The correct flooring choice would probably be to install carpet, because the sound of footfalls carries easily downstairs.** Instead, I plan to keep the plywood exposed and lay down a rug. If necessary for resale, I'll install carpet when I'm moving out.
I'll probably end up choosing an oriental rug, because the only other options for used rugs are super modern, and that just doesn't fit into a 70-year-old-house. So, could you all squint at the pictures below, picture a medium-sized oriental rug, and tell me what color the floor should be?
Choices:
  1. Painted squares 
  2. Stained dark brown (this will never look like real wood flooring. The most I can hope for is that people don't particularly pay attention to the floor.)
  3. Unstained, but covered with a clear coat. Think industrial/Chipotle aesthetic. Something like this, but without the stencils.
  4. Painted a dark brown




I'll add a caveat about how I know this is not the "right" way to do things. Plywood is soft so it's going to dent easily. I've heard of people having plywood floors for 3-5 years, but nobody keeps them for 20. So this is a "good enough for now" choice for me.

*According to a dictionary, a garret is "a top-floor or attic room, especially a small dismal one (traditionally inhabited by an artist)." I'm trying to avoid the "dismal" part.
**I had planned on new carpeting, until one morning when I was cleaning up dog vomit from my spectacularly ugly existing blue-and-red carpet. I realized that I could not bear to spend hundreds of dollars on new carpet that my animals would most certainly throw up on.

7 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I should have added: someone asked if I'd be willing to put down hardwood, but that's out because it's way too noisy.

Also, I am extremely (overly?) frugal. The budget for most my of my projects is basically zero, which limits the options I'll consider.

de-I said...

No paint, no way. Go with the natural color or you room will be too dark and garret like.

Stef said...

Clear coat or stain. Embrace what you have!

Ellie said...

I think those light colored painted squares look really nice! And it would really brighten the room. Kind of a lot of work, though. I still love your "Sharpie a pattern to look like wood floor boards and stain light brown" idea. But LOTS of work for that one.

alexis said...

if it's a temporary fix (you said 3-5 years of putting up with it) I don't see any reason to invest any more time or effort than necessary. Are a lot of people going to see your bedroom? Surely anyone you care about going into the room isn't going to be focused on the floor (wink wink). MAW - who cares? Do something easy. Or do care, and do it properly once.

Shaela said...

I agree with all the previous comments! Stay light, the squares look great but probably not worth the effort. Where is your bed, anyway?

Gill - UK said...

Clear coat - its a shame to hide the beautiful grain.