Sunday, July 24, 2016

Not talking

Every year, since 2006, I have attended a conference in July run by the American Association of Physics Teachers. When I was a student and postdoc, I would present a poster and talk every time, and often I would moderate a session or run a committee meeting. Once I started my present job, I wasn't doing research any more, but there were still workshops to run and presentations to do.

A few years ago, I asked if we could change some of my responsibilities at work, because I had realized that I really, truly do not like being in front of people. I don't like giving talks. I don't like running workshops. I don't even like standing up to give announcements at meetings. It was quite a realization, because I did these things for many years and thought that doing them was a fundamental part of academia and of my current job. Moreover, I was fairly good at them. At some point, though, I wasn't willing to do things I that made me utterly miserable anymore.

In fact, we were able to arrange things so that I can avoid much of that. This year was my very first conference where I did not give a workshop, a talk, a poster, or even announcements. And it was the least stressful conference of my life. I still had meetings from 7am to 8pm, and I was pretty tired at the end of every day. But I was no longer exhausted and mainlining Advil. I feel lucky that I could identify what would make my work life better, and that I had a position where we could make that happen. Sometimes happiness is achieved simply by asking for it.

5 comments:

de-I said...

I find that last sentence, "Sometimes we can get happiness just by asking for it" to be the kind of thing people quote in the future...during their talks most likely.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Good for you for figuring that out and making it happen!

Gill - UK said...

Your employers value your work and obviously want you to stay with them.

alexis said...

what a fantastic revelation and awesome that you could sort it out. I bet you're even better at what you've been realigned to do more of in place of the talking and everyone is benefiting.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! Congratulations on a good experience. -jg