Sunday, July 31, 2016

Bioluminescence

One of the highlights of my vacation was a kayak trip that my brother and I took across Tomales Bay. In that bay live particular plankton, that bioluminesce when they are disturbed. A colleague had done the trip a few years earlier and recommended it. It was quite an ordeal to even get out there - a two-hour drive, a one-hour safety lesson, a three-hour kayak trip, and then a hour drive home after midnight. (Luckily, my brother did almost all the driving, so still-on-East-Coast-Time me got to sleep on the way home.)
Pictures can't capture what it looks like, although this video gives a rough idea. Shawn would make sweeping arcs with his paddle, and light-filled ripples shot out. I dragged my hand in the water, and when I'd pick it up, just for a second, I'd be holding sparks of gold. It's important to be far from other lights, although it wasn't clear to me if that was so that our eyes would adjust to better see the bioluminescence, or because the plankton won't light up around other light sources.  
I have never particularly desired to be a Disney princess, but running my hands through the water made me feel like I was in a Disney movie, with magical light just pouring off my hands. 
The two of us halfway through the trip, sporting our stylish sea kayak skirts.
Cormarants. There is a small island in the middle of the bay. Many, many birds rest there, making a terrible racket.
Some kind of non-poisonous jellyfish, included in the pictures simply because it was so interesting.

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

What an experience -the video is amazing

Bernice said...

It sounds like a great adventure. Glad you could do it.

de-I said...

That sounded so cool.

alexis said...

super duper jealous, that looks amazing!!!!!