Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Goodbye to Phi the Cat


     Today was the last day of Phi's life. She lived 17 good years. By the end, she was blind and deaf, but until yesterday she was still walking around and enjoying the good life in between increasing numbers of naps. Last night it was clear that her body was just shutting down, so today I had her put to sleep and I buried her under the fig tree.
     I've never had a cat who liked people so much. She was tolerant of all people, kids, and dogs but felt that the best defense was a good offense when it came to other cats; she made many a cat twice her size retreat in fear. I'm pretty sure that Andrew fell in love with Phi before he fell in love with me. She and I lived in eight houses during our 15 years together, and that's a big chunk of my life.
     I will miss her.

8 comments:

J-fer Rose said...

Renee Michelle,
I've been meaning to tell you that I continue to follow and enjoy your posts since I moved to Madison last year. But I absolutely couldn't miss posting here. I am so sorry to hear about Phi. She was such a great cat and I am sad to hear she is no longer living. I know she will be missed by many. I'm thinking of you.
Jenny

Bernice said...

One of my best memories is trying to take a picture of her when she climbed up the Christmas tree (all decorated of course) and was hiding in the branches. We all loved her.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Something else I wish I had added- Phi was thanked in not one, but two, physics PhD dissertations. (And I didn't write either one.)

Anonymous said...

It breaks our hearts to hear this news, but you absolutely made the best decision. Quality of life over quantity. We talked about all of our happy Phi memories tonight. She was such a great cat, and we loved her too. I remember the day you got her like it was yesterday. How lucky you both were to have found each other. We will miss her. Thinking of you. Xoxo SSK&B

de-I said...

I know how important Phi was in your life and wish I was there to give you a hug.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

OK - now I am crying for you. The first thing that came to mind was the family reunion/pig roast that was held at your parents house in Ohio. You and Andrew would take Phi outside and with just a simple string for a leech - take her for walks. And Phi was so tolerant of my granddaughters who were about 4-5 when they picked her up and carried her around.

Gill - UK said...

A brave decision but the right one - I think Ada will miss her too.

alexis said...

three cheers to Phi the cat! She lived a good life, she enriched yours and many of those around you. Lots of love to you. She will live on in the puzzled brows of physicist students wondering who that dedication is to.