Monday, October 03, 2016

My days, in numbers

     I have always been prone to introspection, but in the past few years I have become more serious about it. One of the books I was reading on the science of what makes us happy suggested tracking activities. I loved this idea. I already consider whether, in general, what I do aligns with what I value, but this lets me examine things on a more fine-grained detail.
     I tracked all of my time for roughly two weeks, one in the spring and one in the fall, down to the nearest 15-minute interval. I categorized them and made this pretty graph. The only things not displayed are sleep and work, which I felt I could safely remove from analysis: I am almost always well-rested and I almost always limit my work week to the 37.5 hours workweek my company keeps.

Hours logged during 14 days
     A few things I notice right away- I'm spending the most time on things I really love - DIY and friends. Also, since I hate to clean, I have streamlined my household to minimize cleaning and I'm really pleased with that number. I'm outside a lot, because being outside is captured in half of the DIY, most of the pets (walking Ada), and "Outside", which is what I call my morning routine of drinking coffee and reading comics outside every morning. I am sort of astounded at how much time I'm spending on laundry for one person.
     This graph is really just preparation for a silent retreat I'll be taking this fall. I'm planning the retreat myself, and I knew I wanted to head in with a good understanding of how I spend my time and how I spend my money. I'm not quite sure what I'll be doing with my time when I get there, though, so if anyone has good suggestions on how to examine your life in three days, please send suggestions my way.

4 comments:

de-I said...

I'm kind of surprised by how much time was in 'drive' and 'medical'. You are not driving to work I thought?

alexis said...

oh interesting about the whole exercise and the retreat! What exactly do you want to get out of the retreat, and will you be going anywhere for it or just doing it at home?

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I think the medical and driving numbers are a result of non-random sampling. One week when I took dats there was a big conference in Baltimore, and I drove up there three times to see friends.

I do drive to work, though. It's now a 10-mile round-trip ride so I manage that about once a week.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.