Thursday, October 20, 2016

Retreating

     Several friends have asked a polite version of this question: "You live with a silent a dog and a silent roommate. Why do you need to go somewhere to have a silent retreat?" And this is an excellent question. It is true that on a non-workday I could easily go the whole day without talking. However, I never do so. I phone friends or family, I listen to podcasts, I run errands and talk to the checkout woman. A key part of the silent retreat, for me, is cutting myself off from all electronic devices, people, and music.
     In my planning for this trip, I realized that people retreat for many different reasons. Some people want to meditate, or to practice yoga. I want the chance to think about the direction of my life, and make sure that it continues to be aligned with my values. By sequestering myself in a cottage in the Colorado mountains for three days, I hope to cut off all the distractions that I turn to when I face a hard question. There will be no chores around the house, or extensive cooking. I cannot quickly search for something online, or go have lunch with a friend. My choices will be: think while sitting, or think while hiking. That's it.

3 comments:

de-I said...

Sounds logical to me

Gill - UK said...

It looks like you have chosen an isolated place of great beauty. You will have the space and time to think - we will be thinking of you.

alexis said...

Thank you for explaining! I was wondering indeed because a retreat runs along a whole spectrum of different experiences and levels of isolation. I have to say that actually appeals to me as well a great deal, especially somewhere as lovely as Colorado.