Saturday, June 03, 2017

IT struggles

     I'm in the market for a new computer, because my current specimen has a large crack in the casing. It's just a matter of time before the entire thing shuts down and never boots again. The only problem is that I don't like computer shopping and I don't particularly care what kind of computer I have, as long is it doesn't cost much money and plays DVDs. This later requirement apparently makes me some kind of Luddite, but the library still loans out most of its movies on DVD, and do appreciate free entertainment.
      My brother the IT whiz is willing to advise and vet my semifinal choices, but not to do the shopping for me. He asks me useful questions like whether I travel with it and how I use my home computer. But I think my answers are probably not useful - it never leaves my house, I don't care how heavy it is or how bad the battery, and because of Google services the only software I use is a browser and a generic video player. I am fairly close to using the shopping strategy of searching on Amazon for the right price range and letting a random number generator to choose my purchase.

4 comments:

de-I said...

Sorry, no help from here, I'm a MAC user and my purchasing criteria are virtually the opposite of yours.

alexis said...

are we talking about a real computer or a laptop? Indeed you are a luddite on the DVD requirement alas that might actually make it more difficult. I had to give that up with my last purchase but also I am glad to not have discs all over the house anymore.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Laptop - I don't know anyone who has a "real" computer anymore, unless they game or run complex mathematical calculations.

de-I said...

Or have lots and lots and lots of pictures