Thursday, November 02, 2017

Not-so-imposter syndrome

     Today my boss' boss walked into my office and told me she was supposed to make some opening remarks at a conference in two hours, but wouldn't be able to attend. Since my boss wasn't around, could I do it? Well, of course the answer was yes. I scribbled down the talking points she suggested, wrote them into notes, and then biked home to change into my suit and speed off to the conference. When I started this job, an assignment like this would have made me quite nervous. While things like this don't happen every day, I can now handle this pretty easily.
     My cousin recently wrote about imposter syndrome. This is something that comes up frequently in my work, particularly for scientists from underrepresented groups. I sometimes felt like an imposter while in graduate school, but now it's rare, and I'm really grateful for that change. I have a pretty decent sense of the parts of my job that I'm good at, and I've been lucky enough to have bosses and co-workers that give positive feedback. Instead, I find myself amazed that I can do my job. In this job, I have quite a bit of authority - I make recommendations about funding, I suggest how ideas should be presented, and I can be called on to represent the organization. People in the community ask my advice. When that happens, I (not infrequently) have something useful to tell them.
     And that just keeps surprising me. It feels like it wasn't that long ago that I was paid to mop floors and clean toilets, and here I am, a physicist, giving advice that physicists listen to. I guess that's what it means to get an education and work experience, but still, isn't that a little bit amazing?

4 comments:

de-I said...

I think life is that way through out...a constant amazement of what you have done and accomplished when you think about all the challenges there were in the beginning.

alexis said...

marvelous and amazing, yes. I am looking forward to getting to that place. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Definitely your tip to recall that people put you in the role, that there is confidence that you can do it, helps a ton.

Bernice said...

I'm very proud of you and your accomplishments. ( A mom is allowed to think that way, right?) I would comment that now you are mopping floors and cleaning toilets for no pay. :)

Gill - UK said...

You've done all the hard work to get where you are now - and you shouldn't be surprised that you are so capable.