Monday, January 08, 2018

Bathroom installation, part 3

The next step in the bathroom installation was to take all the loose rockwool insulation that we had removed from the storage (aka future bathroom) and haul it up to the attic. With 15 bags, at 40 pounds per bag, this was an undertaking. Especially since the crew (my friend M and I) could only carry  small amounts up the ladder and shove them through the hole in the ceiling. M is the only friend I have who is smaller than me, so we're not exactly the buffest construction crew out there. Still, we were able to move all the insulation in a few hours AND nobody fell through the ceiling. That latter point was actually the most critical accomplishment - the only thing preventing a person in the attic from falling through were a few scraps of plywood that we balanced on the joists. I live in fear of damaging my ceilings; I know how to repair things, but my ceiling tiles are probably forty years old and I have no idea how to find a replacement.

More in a few weeks, when I begin pulling up all the floor boards.

4 comments:

de-I said...

There also could have been the issue of repairing yourself or your co-worker if you fell through the ceiling!

Gill - UK said...

Are you recycling the loose rockwool insulation? Sounds a good idea to get some insulation in place especially with the current cold weather.

alexis said...

You guys are totally my heroes.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Gill, yes! We ripped out all the loose rock wool at Thanksgiving, and this recent project was the recycling. It has all been put up in the attic, where hopefully it will keep me from losing heat. This has the bonus that I didn't have to throw all that perfectly good insulation in the landfill.

Alexis, awww. That made me smile. I thought we looked like construction superheroes in that photo :)