Thursday, January 18, 2018

King Cake

     A few weeks ago I had an irresistible desire to eat King Cake. As I don't celebrate many Christian holidays, I found convinced my friends N&S that I should make a cake that I could share with their family. Luckily, this was an easy sell, and everyone loved it. In researching recipes, I learned a lot. This cake is eaten any time between Epiphany and Lent and it can be a plain brioche or filled. Receiving the piece with the Baby Jesus usually means that you are "king" for the day, or that you have to bring the cake next year.
     I chose to make a braided brioche version, with a cinnamon-nut filling in the middle of each strand. It was insanely sweet (not a problem for the under-ten crowd, of course) but delicious. I have been eating it all week. A co-worker did hint that if I was going to bring such nice breakfasts to our meetings perhaps I need to bring enough for everyone...

5 comments:

Gill - UK said...

What a lovely idea to share with your friends and colleagues. I've never heard of King Cake.

de-I said...

Did you tell said colleague that the minute they did so for everyone, you would?

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Who was made King for the day?

alexis said...

I was just thinking about a tarte aux rois! The bake on that looks excellent by the way. Glad it was a hit!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

In the end, we didn't have a king, because I didn't have something the right size and inedibility to insert into the cake. No one much cared, though, because just getting cake on a random Tuesday night was a treat.