Thursday, April 25, 2019

A new garden

At some point during my dismal spring I decided to put in a new garden. I've often considered planting a cottage garden, which is usually a big mass of colorful, overlapping flowering perennials. I have never done it because it takes years for such a garden to establish. But this year, I thought, if it takes two years to grow and then looks good during the third year when I move, at least I'll have enjoyed one year. And since my future plans are indeterminate, it's entirely possible that I'll be living in this house and enjoying the garden for years to come.

I engaged an advisory board, made up of three friend/relatives who care about gardening. And by "engaged", I mean that I pelted them with emails, drawings of the space, and links to plants. Here's what we've come up with so far.

In early March, when the garden was just a dream.
I spent two long weekends digging, with the help of my roommate.
My father, who always prefers to use machines, helped me rent a tiller to dig some more.
My mother spent an entire day considering exactly where the plants should go and labeling empty spaces with markers. I then purchased six carloads of mulch and compost, and shoveled for a long time. 
This is what it looks like right now! It's a big space, sparsely filled with 6" tall plants. But give it a lot of water and two years to grow, and I think it will be beautiful. I'll be sure to post updates throughout the summer.

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

A great start to a large project - and don't forget gifts of plants from fellow gardening friends, i.e. their surplus quantities of established perennials, is a good way of getting more variety. Well done.

de-I said...

One can already get a feel for how it is going to grow out. The basic layout is appeaaling

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

An ambitious project - but it will so be rewarding to come home too!

alexis said...

that is such an awesome project! how fun to watch it grow.