Monday, April 15, 2019

Defense, and empowerment

In the wake of the #MeToo movement and learning about some of the experiences of friends and family, I decided to take a self-defense course. I did a bit of research and learned that martial arts wasn't what I wanted: many people said I'd need to take years of classes to get what I needed.

Instead, I found an empowerment self-defense class. For 10 weeks, I learned skills to limit or stop harassment, set boundaries, intervene with bystanders, AND physically defend myself. I could talk all day about what I now know- that when I know how to set boundaries with strangers, friends, or loved ones, I limit the opportunity they have to take advantage of me, whether that might result in emotional abuse, harassment, or sexual assault. I learned (a bit) about how gender based violence and racism interact. I also learned how to defend myself when attacked from front or behind, if my arms and legs are pinned, and or if someone is choking me. As an aside, it's a bit odd to let a stranger to choke each week.

I'm pretty proud of myself for doing it, because sometimes it was hard. At the end of the class, we all wrote down what idea we were breaking on a 3/4" board, and then broke it with our fists. So now I have proof that I'm better prepared.

5 comments:

de-I said...

Wow...That is really cool. Something you should pass on as advice to all your nieces

Rob said...

Sounds great! I imagine a bit of krav maga never goes amiss, though... ;)

Ellie said...

Would you recommend the class to your local friends? I haven't even thought about that kind of thing, but all the things you describe seem like a great idea to have in my tool box.

alexis said...

I think that's awesome! I have done short afternoon sessions but I think something that long is probably a lot better at really teaching you lasting skills and habits.

Matty said...

Wow, you broke that board WITH YOUR FIST!!!!