Saturday, June 15, 2019

So long, San Francisco (at least temporarily)

In May, I visited my brother and his family, but I had so much fun I never got around to posting, so this is a retrospective piece. My annual visits to the Bay area are something I look forward to, but my brother and his family will be traveling for the next year, so this was a chance to see them and say a temporary good-bye to SF. I love hanging out in the city and soaking up the wearing-a-hoodie, using-a-scooter, coder vibe, which is so different than the suit-wearing, policy wonk culture in DC.

We made stuffed-crust pizza. It was my first try, and my advice to myself for next time: you can't use too much cheese.
My niece is as tall as me. She is clearly not done growing, so very soon I will be the shortest family member, at least until the next generation has kids.
K presented a poster about for her class interview-a-scientist project. She prepared excellent questions and then recorded and transcribed the interview. From my research, I know how mind-numbing it can be to transcribe conversations.
I took a day trip to Angel Island, which involved the subway, a tram, and a ferry ride.
Angel Island was once used to process immigrants, aka the Ellis Island of the West. Because of anti-Chinese legislation, potential Chinese immigrants could spend weeks or ever months in the barracks, waiting to found out if they would be permitted to enter the US. Some of them carved poetry about loneliness and home on the walls.
It was a pretty sobering reminder of how things used to be, and tragically, how thing still are for many people trying to immigrate to the US.

They have a tough exercise routine at my brother's house.  A medium-sized boy clings to you, and you try to do everything you can to remove him. I managed one session, plus one session of my brother's "Oh, you are bored? Let's do as many sit-ups and push-ups as we can!" routine.

3 comments:

de-I said...

It is hard to remember your brother was sort of anti-exercise when he was growing up.

alexis said...

yes I was thinking that same thing!

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Those kids are growing up too fast!