Thursday, July 30, 2020

Summer Camp

Like everyone in 2020, I had to come up with new, socially-distanced vacation plans. This week I'm visiting my parents in Ohio. Since we don't want to leave the house and property very often, I proposed that we hold a summer camp. It's very much in the ethos of my family to plan a bunch of productive work rather than watching movies or lounging around.
I had no problem coming up with crafts, because we all had stuff we wanted to make. But I had to stretch a bit with the "nature" category - since my dad wouldn't be interested in the hikes, I had to include motorcycle and car rides, where we will... um... see nature? 
It's very peaceful here. I'm sure it would be easy to take for granted if you live here, but living on 40 acres, surrounded by cicadas and killdeer and the occasional coyote means that you are surrounded by quiet and green. I've always said that I wouldn't want to live here, where you have to depend on a car and the culture is definitely too conservative to be comfortable for me, but it's a great place to visit when the world is what it is right now.

5 comments:

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Did you hike in the woods behind their house with your Mom?

de-I said...

Thank goodness there was a food category!

alexis said...

the obvious freehand drawing of the lines on your chart (vs using a ruler to ensure perfect perpendicularity) clearly shows you and the family are in let-your-hair-down, relaxing holiday mode.

Gill - UK said...

Impressive planning - but how do you 'air fry' food - its not a phrase I am familiar with?

Anonymous said...

Alexis, you know the real me!

Gill, an airfryer is a small kitchen appliance like a toaster oven or crockpot. It heats food with forced hot air, and is supposed to make food crispy without a lot of oil. I had just purchased one, so I brought it with me to try out.