Monday, September 20, 2021

Gardening retrospective

Gardening wasn't quite as much fun this year. I had to battle several mammalian invaders, and work seemed to take so much time that I couldn't keep up with things. The lack of time is means that I did harvest food, but it sometimes felt like a chore, and I wasn't the best gardener I could be. I'm a bit disappointed about this,  although I expect the situation next year to be different (plans are in the works!) so we'll see if a new attitude plus better battle plans make a difference in 2022.

The squash and pumpkin harvest was practically miraculous. The reason? I only planted one kind, but harvested three. Mysterious plants sprung from the compost bin, like Athena from Zeus' forehead. (Well, not quite, I mean, it wasn't a fully grown warrior plant.) Moreover, the possum ate 90% of the butternut squash, which I eventually sacrificed as a decoy plant to distract the it from the other produce.

Amazing surprise squash plant that grew out of the black compost bin at the very back. For reference, that bin is a meter in diameter.

 A lovely recollection of early summer produce. The eggplant and tomatoes were great successes, but for the first time ever I ate only a single zucchini and two cucumbers. Better luck next year, I guess, especially if I hire the right person for the currently open position of Brigadier General in change of Garden Mammalian Defensive Strategies. I'm taking applications in the comments.

5 comments:

de-I said...

Wow if you only got 2 cucumbers, I am feeling way better about our meager, not-so-tasty cucumber haul. Does it make me a bad person by getting joy from someone else's bad fortune?

Whatever.

Good eatin' Possum. I seem to remember that in the very early versions of the Joy of Cooking there were all kinds of recipes for the things that eat your garden - squirrels, rabbits, opossums, etc. I think in our 1970's version some of it is still there if I remember correctly. I say link yourself up with someone who is doing authentic historical American cooking in their restaurant.

Stef said...

That looks like a ton of squash and pumpkins to me!

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

We had about 10 squash - the plants died before the squash had ripened. No animals wanted to eat them - including me!

alexis said...

I would be concerned. I think that rogue squash plant looks like it's heading for your house.

Gill - UK said...

Oscar Wilde, apparently, said 'Comparisons are odious' - so don't worry about this years results - they look good to me. If we lived closer, I'd swap some apricots, our only successful crop, for one of your pumpkins.